Thursday, March 26, 2015

Is it possible to live in poverty amidst richness?


             I understand very well that there are challenges as well as tensions in this life I have chosen to live. To live a life of priesthood is like living in contradictions with the world. The world, I refer here are my basic human desires. There are instincts that I myself denied or to say it mildly, controlled for the sake of the Gospel and the truth that I'm are trying to witness to this world, so to proclaim the Reign of God.


            Speaking of controlled instincts, we can name many but I particularly tackle here that which is related to the issue of poverty witnessing. One of the many instincts is the power to have. Accordingly, it is normal for everyone to desire for something, to acquire something that would uplift the dignity and well-being of the person who desires. This is normal and it seems that everything is normal so long as it conform the standard of the social structure and community you are living with. But is it not confusing to establish the normalcy of desiring, when in fact desires varies from one person to another? What would be our criteria to determine that this desiring is natural and the other is not?
           
            I believe that desiring would always go in line with my decisions in life. I have decided to become a priest and so my desiring should also be in consonance with what I’m preparing into. I’m called to live a life of poverty as I’m called to build a church of the poor. My property then, should proportionate to what the people have or to what the people is capable of having. If this is so I should be discerning and careful of acquiring things. I must see to it that the property I acquire should not exceed to what I need for the good of the ministry. Does this not sound restricting and hampering my ministerial work? Supposed I buy a brand new computer. Even I knew most of my parishioners cannot afford any of this kind, do I betray my vow of poverty? Does it mean infidelity to the vow even it is clear in my mind and in my consciousness that I buy that computer to facilitate my pastoral work and so to serve my parishioners without delay?

            In answering this question, I should follow the Ignatian Spirituality, and I hope I will not be disloyal to it. Fr. Bob Rice, S.J. once said, it is not bad or there is no wrong of acquiring things when you are willing to share it with others. I’m really convinced that this ideal is in line also with our lesson in Christian Social Ethics that speaks of economic principle according to justice as “the right to own is subordinate to the right to use.”
           
            Indeed, everyone has the right to own anything he can afford. But this right to ownership should be relinquished under indispensable circumstances such as helping our neighbors who are in dire need. Isn't it wonderful to think that having more the greater the chances of sharing? Hence, it is no wrong to be rich, to be wealthy as long as you are the lord over your wealth, not the otherwise. Remember, richness is a gift from God (Matthew 6:33).

            Going along with this Spirituality is not betraying the vow of poverty since the one acquiring is not attached with what he/she attained. What I believe a betrayal to this vow is getting things at the expense of others, hoarding and refusing its use for the welfare of the many.
           
            Isn't it sacrificial for one to procure personal things for the welfare of all? Isn't it true that living poor in richness that you own nothing yet you share everything?


1 comment: